Sunday, July 15, 2018

Small and Simple

Let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time there was this tree. The tree had strong beautiful roots that helped it to grow to be a strong beautiful tree. Now, beside this tree was a sidewalk. Over time this tree's beautiful roots became so big and strong that it started to push up through the sidewalk. This caused the sidewalk to lift a little. More time passed and the root of the tree continued to push upward through the sidewalk and eventually caused it to fracture or crack and become a hazard for those walking past the tree.

This is a representation of the choices I've made in my life to get me to the point of needing to change. I was obese, extremely so. I was unhappy, unhealthy, and my relationships with my family were straining because of the life choices I made to get me to this depressive state. I over ate. I chose to eat take out and fried foods. I drank soda. I ate because I was sad, stressed, depressed, angry, happy...I could go on and on, the list really is quite long.

Now, let me tell you another story. Once upon a time.....there was a faucet that was attached to an underground well in the middle of a dirt field. This faucet developed a small leak that would cause a slow, steady amount of water to drip onto the dry land below. After a little bit of time a little green leaf started to sprout out of the ground where the water would drip. A little time more and this leaf turned into a beautiful flower.  Over time, months maybe even years, this dirt field turned into a beautiful, green, flowering field.

This is a representation of the choices I am making now. Every drip of water has been something I have changed in me. Whether it be forgiving others of the pain they put me through or forgiving myself for causing even more pain. Choosing to eat more fruits and vegetables and not so much fried food. Stop eating when I'm no longer hungry and eating smaller portions....another list that could go on and on.

As of today, I have lost a total of 35 pounds since the end of January. I've had my struggles and I know I will continue to have struggles. It's been a slow road, but now I officially weigh less than I did when I got pregnant with our 4th child and I'm only 15 away from where I was when I got married.

Today, my flower bloomed. For the first time in many years, I was able to wear my wedding ring. This is HUGE for me. I have always refused to get it resized because I didn't want to give in to being over weight. I knew I could beat it and live a healthier lifestyle, and so I am! I am happier and healthier today than I have been in a long time. It was the small and simple choices, much like the drips of water, I made to get me to this point today.

It is the small and simple choices that effect our lives. Do we choose to be the tree that, through time, makes a crack in the sidewalk, or do we choose to be a leaky faucet that through time makes a beautiful meadow?? And these choices aren't limited to the way we eat. These small and simple things apply to how we treat others, the things we say, the way we choose to act or react to something...it involves EVERY decision we make. Even the decision to get out of bed in the morning or to smile at a stranger on the street. Imagine all the beautiful meadows that could exist if we only choose to make happier and healthier choices. After today, I am looking forward to my meadow. It will continue to be slow, but that's OK. I think I would prefer it to be slow rather than fast. I get to enjoy the journey more and it also teaches me patience and humility.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you Sierra!! Way to go������. Love you tons - and I love this post‼️��

    ReplyDelete